Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Semi-Natural?

I once saw a post on Curly Nikki, a question from one follower asking if all naturals jumped off the natural bandwagon, i.e. stopped using all natural products on their natural hair. This post made me realize, now that I am natural and done transitioning, I use fewer homemade products.

Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that when I first decided to go natural, I did have sort of a super hippy/organic moment where I thought I would be natural from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. I would whip up avocado, banana and pumpkin potions to achieve moisture and shine. For a while I thought, this is great! And it was great, however it wasn't for me. I always felt wasteful and guilty when I did such things. You see, I grew up in a home where my Mom reminded me "there are children in some countries, crying themselves to sleep from hunger, eat your mashed potatos." This mentality has stuck with me throughout my life, which is why I cook small portions and married a man with the appetite of a bear coming out of hibernation.

I just can't justify myself, putting edible ingredients such as avocado or banana in my hair, when I can put those things in my stomach and nourish my body. Mmm... wonder how avocado and banana would taste in a smooth? Where am I going with this?!! Sorry, what I'm trying to say is, I consider myself a semi-natural product user. I try to incorporate things such as natural oils or organic products, but that's the extent of it. Although since becoming natural, I've noticed I've stopped using oils in my DC's as much as I did when transitioning, so revisited that today and did the following:
1 TBSP EVOO
1 TBSP of my natural plain yogurt (ate the rest)
1 TSP of vitamin E oil
2 TBSP of my Aubrey Organics Honey-suckle Rose Conditioner

I mixed these ingredients up and applied them to slightly damp hair (I just misted with a little water). Will let you know how it comes out, my hair began to softened immediately, as I applied this mixture.

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment