Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The One Thing I Learned from Relaxers about Growth

1. Hair grows =)

My natural hair is super coily. Shrinkage and I are BFFs (sometimes frienemies). My shrinkage makes me feel, at times that my hair isn't growing. Today, I looked at a comparison shot from my transition chop (Dec. 3rd) and was amazed to see how much it has grown. I realize for the first time in my life, I don't have some kind of permanent benchmark that allows measure growth. 

When I was relaxed, I'd hate to see the patches of new growth sprouting up-- my trip to the salon couldn't come soon enough. When I was transitioning, the increasing maintenance it took to blend the two textures allowed me to see growth. Once I even had a permanent color, again this served as a reminder that I needed to touch up my contrastingly dark roots. Now for the first time in my life, it's just me and my curls. 

Each day as I begin styling my hair, I have the urge to pull out a ruler. Sometimes I cave in, but for the most part I don't, because I realize I don't need to subject my hair to some benchmark. The only thing I can do is maintain its health, love it and let it grow. Heck, I know from my relaxer days that it's constantly growing, why else did I have to get that touch up every other 8 weeks!?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment